Monday, June 7, 2010

PCHS Biotech Pioneers




This semester went by too fast! I wasn't aware going into the class that it would be so lab-intense. Good thing they were my favorite part. We had our root beer fermentation, DNA extraction necklaces, restriction enzymes, southern blot, PCR, Human fingerprinting toolbox, Transformation with green and blue fluorescent protein plasmids, Purification of green and blue fluorescent protein, and final magnolia extraction lab. I cannot begin to explain how more in depth this class has gone into the world of biotechnology that I have previously understood. I now can sequence DNA using the Sanger method, do a southern blot, the differences between STR/VNTR/ISSR, and understand the procedures of DNA micro arrays. Funny thing, because there was a micro array question on a sample GRE test. That being said, this was one of the best classes I've taken. I believe that I'm even more ready for college now. Thanks to everyone that is in support of this project, and thanks to Mrs. Allsbrook for being a "goddess". :)

Tyler Toomey

No comments:

Post a Comment