Monday, May 31, 2010

My Experiences in Biotechnology- Jessica

The main benefit that I gained from this class was the hands on experience in conducting experiments including DNA fingerprinting, gel electrophoresis, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Being able to use micropipets, a thermocycler, a vertical gel electrophoresis chamber, etc. was an opportunity that I had not been given in any other class during my time in high school. This prepared me for the type of hands on atmosphere of science courses in college, and further helped me to learn procedures and ways of thinking that will ultimately benefit me in my career. I intend to major in biochemistry while at college, and this class not only provided me with the level of information I will be expected to know, it provided me with a knowledge of current events that are now happening in the field. This course, unlike many of my other classes, held a real world connection. Everything I learned I will be applying in the future. I also gained experience in the application of knowledge, with the Magnolia virginiana project. As a class, we traveled to collect leaves from a sight in our county, and then back in the classroom we used the leaves to isolate DNA. We will soon be taking this DNA and running PCR to make a DNA fingerprint specific to the Magnolia trees in our county.

No comments:

Post a Comment